Tonight I made what is quite possibly the easiest possible summer dinner! That is a good thing because after a day like today it needed to be quick and easy. Grocery shopping with 3 or more kids is tow should be a sport. However if it were a sport, today, I would have lost… miserably. After the initial elation that comes from the plethora of samples in the produce and the sugar high that follows from the free Harris Teeter sugar cookie, all began to fall apart. It did not help that it was 4pm and Maddie May did not get much of a nap today. But, we were in sprint mode because we were out of toilet paper and pull ups and needed a few things for tonights dinner. You see, I just noticed that grape tomatoes and Pull-ups were on special (and only through tomorrow) so I had to go right away. All of this had to happen before getting Will to drum lessons at 5:00 so like I said, sprint mode.
So, the moral of the story… this is why I shop 2 weeks at a time normally and avoid at all costs the sudden run to the grocery store with all 3 kids. If you were at HT in Clemmons around 4 today and thought 2 little boys were about to be strung up by their toenails, that was me… I apologize you had to witness it. The chaotic night ended on a glorious note though when dinner was as easy and delicious in reality as it was in my mind. Truly simple…
Fresh Herbs & Summer Tomatoes with Angel Hair Pasta – serves 6-8 (depending on who is eating!)
- Wash and halve 2 pints of grape tomatoes (evic special til tomorrow for only $2 a pint!). Place in a large non-metallic bowl.
- Drizzle over about 2T extra virgin olive oil
- Sprinkle liberally with coarse salt & fresh ground pepper
- Top tomatoes with about 2T each of finely chopped fresh basil and fresh oregano (you can use dried if it is all you have but use much less and the flavor will not be as rich)
- Stir to coat and cover tightly with plastic wrap.
- Boil water and cook a large box of angel hair pasta just until al dente. Do not over cook.
- Drain pasta and add to tomatoes.
- Mix well, top with shredded parmesan, and serve
It is honestly that simple. You don’t even cook the tomatoes, covering them while preparing the pasta allows them time for the salt to begin to break them down a bit. The flavor is to die for! I simply popped a baguette into the oven while I was cooking and was done in a snap. It made enough for all 5 of us (with seconds), plus leftovers for 2 lunches.
If you are looking for an easy Tuesday night dinner run into HT to grab the grape tomatoes while they are still evic specials!
2 pints grape tomatoes
extra virgin olive oil (about 2T)
Fresh Basil (2T chopped)
Fresh Oregano (2T chopped)
Coarse Salt & Pepper
Large box of angel hair pasta